Acidity Cure in Ayurveda
Suffer from acidity or acid reflux too often and are tired of having antacids? Well, there are natural remedies you can get rid of the problem. Thought to be due to increased pitta or the lack of digestive fire, Ayurveda prescribes a number of remedies for the condition. Not only are these home remedies sans any side-effects, they will also help resolve the discomfort that comes with hyperacidity in jiffy. So to help you beat heartburn, here are 10 home remedies that actually work. You can also get quick relief from acidity with this yoga pose.
How do they help?
- They are a rich source of potassium and help keep the level of acid production in your stomach in check.
- Certain components in the fruit also help increase the production of mucous in your stomach, which helps protect it from the harmful effects of excessive acid production.
- Are high in fibre content which helps speed up digestion, preventing the recurrence of acidity. ]
Tip for relief
Eat a ripe banana for some relief. You could also eat an overripe banana to beat an especially bad bout of acidity, as they tend to contain more potassium which makes it the perfect antidote. Here are eight foods that can help you detox naturally and aid digestion.
Home remedy for acidity #2:
How does it help?
- Tulsi leaves help stimulate your stomach to produce more mucous
- Has antiulcer properties and reduces the effect of gastric acids,
Chewing on five to six tulsi leaves when you suffer from acidity is a great way to beat the discomfort you feel.
Home remedy for acidity #3: Cold milk
- Milk has a high amount of calcium that helps it prevent acid build up and absorbs the excess acid produced, thereby reducing the symptoms of acidity.
- The fact that it is cold also provides instant relief from the burning sensation one feels during acid reflux.
It is essential that you have the milk cold and without any additives like sugar. You could even mix it with a spoon of ghee to make the remedy even more effective.
Home remedy for acidity #4: Saunf or aniseed
- Has very potent anti-ulcer properties (due to the volatile oils it contains)
- Aids in digestion and relieves constipation.
- Helps cool the lining of the stomach, reducing that burning sensation you feel during a bout of acidity.
While simply chewing on a few saunf seeds can help reduce the symptoms of acidity, as a long term remedy, boil a few seeds in water and leave overnight, drink this water during the day when you feel uneasy.
Home remedy for acidity #5:
How it helps
- It has properties that stimulate the production of saliva which helps in better digestion, improves metabolism and relieves gas and other gastric troubles.
- According to Ayurvedic doctors jeera has a calming effect on irritated stomach nerves and helps heal ulcers.
You can chew a few seeds of jeera to relieve acidity or boil it in water and drink the solution when it has cooled down.
- When bitten into your taste buds react cloves pungent taste and secrete excess saliva, which in turn aids digestion and beats the symptoms of acidity.
- Has carmitive properties and helps improve peristalisis (the movement of food down the stomach).
In case you’re suffering from acidity, bite a clove once so that the juice is released and then keep it in the mouth. The slowly released juice will immediately lower acid reflux and give you some relief. Cloves can also help relieve a sore throat, here’s how .
- Known to balances all three doshas – kapha, pitta and vata according to Ayurvedic texts, elaichi is known to stimulate digestion and relieve stomach spasms.
- It also soothes the inner lining of the stomach helping it ward off the effects of excess acid produced in the stomach.
To relieve acidity crush two pods of cardamom (with or without the skin), boil the powder in water and drink the cooled juice for instant relief.
- Pudina helpslower the acid content of the stomach and improves digestion.
- Has a cooling effect which helps reduce the pain and burning associated with acid reflux.
If you feel an attack coming on chop some mint leaves, add them to a pot of boiling water and drink this water after it cools. You could also try mint to calm indigestion
- The root is known to improve digestion and aid in better absorption and assimilation of essential nutrients.
- It also protect your stomach against ulcers by promoting mucus secretion and reducing the effect of the acid on your stomach.
For relief from acidity, chew a small piece of ginger. If you find that too pungent, try boiling it in water and drinking the decoction. Another remedy is to crush ginger, mix it with a small piece of jaggery and keeping sucking on it allowing the juice to slowly reach the stomach.
- Amla is a kapha and pitta pacifier apart from having high amounts of vitamin C that helps in healing the injured stomach lining and oesophagus.
Have one teaspoon of amla powder twice a day to help keep acidity at bay.
So the next time you feel like you might suffer from a bout of acidity, ditch that bottle of antacid, and try some effective home remedies instead, after all they’ve been around for centuries.
Have any doubts about how to get relief from acidity, click here.
Photo source: Getty images
Disclaimer: TheHealthSite.com does not guarantee any specific results as a result of the procedures mentioned here and the results may vary from person to person. The topics in these pages including text, graphics, videos and other material contained on this website are for informational purposes only and not to be substituted for professional medical advice.