Ayurveda Male pattern baldness
Hair loss is a common problem with both men and women. Some experiences less hair fall while it is acute with others. Normal hair break up is about 50-100 strands per day. Though, it is replaced by new ones, however, aging, hereditary and hormonal change contributes permanent loss of hair.
The problem can be solved through alternative medicine. Complementary and Alternative Medicine (CAM) like yoga, ayurveda, naturopathy, homeopathy, unani, siddha, acupuncture, acupressure, diet, etc. has enough potential and remedial measures in curing of it. Home remedies, preventions and precautions are also important aspects in minimizing of it.
Hair Loss Signs & Symptoms
The signs in men, women, children or adult comprise the following aspects.
- In case of men: Scalp hair getting thin or complete loss. Horseshoe shaped is also one the prominent features.
- In case of women: Thinning or diffused hair at the crown. Stress plays the greater role.
- In case of children: Abrupt loss from certain parts of the scalp.
- Loss of hair in patches or Alopecia Areata which is reversible.
- Steady thinning on the top or called Male Pattern Baldness.
- Telogen effluvium: happened after great illness or stress.
- Male baldness (androgenetic alopecia) starts from the hairline.
Hair loss causes
- Lice problem or Pediculosis
- Frequent combing
- Blow dryers
- Hereditary factor i.e. father or grandfather has the tendency of losing hair and leads to male pattern baldness.
- Pregnancy due to hormonal changes
- Child birth and birth control pill
- Major surgery
- Polycystic ovaries
- Skin diseases like ringworm and psoriasis.
- Thyroid disease –hyperthyroidism and hypothyroidism
- Drugs for chemotherapy, depression, bipolar disorder, acne are important cause of it.
- Disease like addison disease, scarring, seborrheic dermatitis, syphilis, vitiligo too causes hair thinning
- Iron deficiency-anemia
- Hypervitaminosis A
- Anti-coagulants like warfarin and heparin
- Seizure medication
- Fungal infection
- Nervous habit
- Blood pressure medication
- Drugs like anti-inflammatory one
- Drugs to low cholesterol
- Oral contraceptive and diet pills
- Sickness and infectious diseases
- Toxic chemicals
- Harmful radiation
- Medication for parkinson disease
- Ulcer drugs
- Lower level of estrogen and higher level of androgen hormone
Hair loss in woman
Thinning of hair is common among women. About 20%- 50% women faced it at some stages of her life. In women, the condition is heartbreaking, may affect marital life, career, job opportunities, social networking etc. Depression, stress, anxiety are also the factor of it. However, baldness among women is rare. Though, causes of it in women are same as that of the general causes as mentioned above. Some of the important factors and related aspects are:
- Control of birth pill
- Rapid weight loss
- Prescribed medications
- Lack of proper vitamins and nutrients in diet
- Hair styling treatment
- Immune diseases and disorders
- Chemo and radiation therapy
- Hormonal changes
- Not consuming enough protein
- Trichotillomania- thinning is patchy
- Alopecia areata-diffuse hair fall
- Triangular alopecia
- Scarring alopecia-dominant in case of women
- Telogen effluvium-shedding of hair is more common
- Scalp infection
- Low level of estrogen
Pregnancy hair loss
All the ladies face it after pregnancy but the quantum of hair fall is more with some moms. It is happened due to hormonal changes in the body. Falling of hair starts 12 weeks of delivery. Though normal hair fall is 75-100 hairs/ day but after delivery, moms generally loss about 500 hair/day. However, within six months, it is back like as pre-pregnancy.
Hair loss diagnosis
The following tests may be done for women:
- Hormone levels-Testosterone, Prolactin, Follicular Stimulating Hormone (FSH) and Leutinizing Hormone(LH)
- Scalp biopsy
- Hair pull test
- Hair pluck test
- Serum iron
- Serum feritin
- TIBC-Total Iron Binding Capacity
- Complete Blood Count(CBC)
- Thyroid Stimulating Hormone ( T3, T4)
- Screening test for syphilis-VDRL
Questions for your doctor
- What are symptoms?
- What are the factors and causes?
- Whether diet is related to it?
- Whether medication is helpful to prevent it?
- How it can be corrected?
- How damage hair can re-grow?
- Is this hereditary factor?
Yoga for hair loss control
The practice of Yoga not only makes you fit and fine, it also gives your body a beautiful look by protecting your hair and making it internally stronger. Yoga is beneficial for hair growth as it increases blood circulation to head and scalp region.
- Vajrasana( Thunderbolt pose) is useful for the treatment of it.
- Stress, tension and anxiety are common causes of reducing hair. Relaxation techniques and meditation are quite effective to reduce stress.
- Shirsasana( Headstand pose) enhances blood circulation to the scalp and promote hair growth
- Sarvangasana (Shoulder stand pose) is quite effective in increasing blood supply to the scalp region and prevent hair thinning.
- Bhujangasana (Cobra pose) improves blood circulation in vertebral column thereby facilitates better communication between the brain and body.
- Kapalabhati( Frontal lobe cleansing technique) energizes the mind and clear the frontal lobe of the brain by speeding up the blood flow.
- Anuloma Viloma (Alternative breathing) refreshes your entire body organ, especially the brain part and help in the strengthening of hair and hair follicles.
- Pranayama acts like as panacea and quite beneficial for hair care and in curing of baldness. It also helps in promoting of hair gain.
- The other asanas that is too useful in reducing the gravity are Shashank asana ( Moon pose ), Ushtrasana ( Camel pose), Pawanmuktasana (Knee to chest pose) and Uttanasana (Bending straight forward pose).
Ayurvedic treatment for hair loss
Due to effectiveness of ayurveda, modern doctor is prescribing alternative medicine too for baldness. Ayurveda can play a greater role for hair fall treatment. Here, some important ayurvedic hair solution, control tips and treatments are:
- Massage with ayurvedic oil: Massage with coconut oil/ brahmir/ bhringaraj oil the scalp is preventive measures. It is an effective ayurvedic remedy for hair.
- Natural remedy as Vitamin E oil massage is good in controlling of it.
- Ayurvedic diet: Eating of white sesame seeds is beneficial.
- Taking of Yogurt too strengthen hair and control the condition.
- Ayurvedic herbs like Dashamoola, Bhringara and Jatamamsi are used to make hair strong.
- Diet rich in vitamin B and C is good for hair growth.
- Fruits, leafy vegetables and milk make hair shining and stronger
- Mashed and mixed components of beans +fenugreek are beneficial.
- Sesame seeds and sesame seed oil is used in the treatment of hair remedy.
- Reduced junk food and extra calorie make your healthy.
- Massage of camphor + coconut oil makes your scalp healthy and strengthens the follicles.
- Rub the mix of castor oil + mustard oil + coconut oil to make your hair stronger.
- Water of boil neem leaves is useful for hair.
- Eat the mix of ginger + honey.
- Rub the head after washing hair as it stimulates sebaceous gland thereby improves blood circulation
- Massage of honey + egg yolk on your scalp is an effective ayurvedic remedy.
- Take mix of lettuce and spinach juice is helpful in prevention.
- Application of coconut + lime juice is good.
- Combination of alfalfa juice + carrot juice + lettuce juice helps to grow hair well.
- Take more and more quantity of water as it flush out toxins from the body.
- Use mustard oil regularly as it is helpful in curing of baldness.