Treatment of Piles in Ayurveda
Hemorrhoids or Piles as is generally known is a very common disease. About 70% of the population have at some time in their lives suffered from piles or have had experienced some symptoms related to it.
We will first try to understand what Piles / Hemorrhoids are. Piles or Hemorrhoids are actually, distended veins in the anal canal. Veins tend to stretch under pressure. When veins in the lower part of the rectum or anus stretch, swell or descend in to the anal canal, i.e. when they prolapse or protrude in to the canal they are considered as Piles/Hemorrhoids.
The set of veins inside the rectum when distended result in internal hemorrhoids and the set of veins under the skin around the anus when distended result in External Piles.
Some other factors also contribute to the prolepses of the veins. They are long standing constipation, leading to straining while passing stool, pregnancy, weakening of the muscles supporting the veins due to ageing etc. One may also have a hereditary tendency to develop piles.
If you have any of the following symptoms you are probably suffering from Hemorrhoids- Piles.
1. Bleeding from the anus :
after defecation (passing stool)
during and after defecation
usually without pain but in some conditions with pain.
4. Protrusion of a mass from the anal canal (can be felt digitally).
As described earlier, hemorrhoids develop because of increasing pressure in the veins of the lower part of the rectum and anus. This increasing pressure can be due to various reasons like -
- Straining during chilled birth
- Lifting heavy weights over a long period
- Sitting or standing for a long time
- Chronic constipation accompanied with straining to evacuate the bowels
- Repeated diarrhea and dysentery
- A habit of suppressing the urge to defecate
- There may also be an inherited tendency to develop Hemorrhoids / Piles.
Hemorrhoids / Piles can be classified in two ways
I. As per their site of development
1. Internal hemorrhoids / piles
2. External hemorrhoids / piles
( described earlier.)
II. As per the stages of the diseases
1. First degree hemorrhoids
2. Second degree hemorrhoids
3. Third degree hemorrhoids
4. Fourth degree hemorrhoids
First degree Hemorrhoids: Is the condition when the mass (The structure with the veins) projects slightly into the anal canal, but only when the veins are congested i.e. during defecation / passing stool.