Ayurveda refers to migraine as suryavarta when the headache affects the entire region of the head or ardhavabhedaka when the headache affects only one side of the head.
Migraines And The Doshas
Migraine is dominantly caused by the vata and pitta doshas and these two body types are more prone toward this disease. The symptoms and treatments vary according to the dosha dominance. Here’s a quick table:
|Dominant Dosha||Main Symptoms||Treatment|
|Vata||Headache in the temporal region | dizziness||Head massage | shirodhara | nasya therapy|
|Pitta||Migraine aura | a burning sensation | gastric disturbances||Head massage with cooling oils like coconut oil | nasya therapy|
|Kapha||Heaviness of the head | a dull pain | numbness | appetite loss (anorexia)||Herbal smoking | vamana therapy|
Ayurvedic Diet And Lifestyle For Migraines
For different body types, dosha-based diets are advised. But with migraines, the body type does not majorly contribute. To put it in different words, the migraine pathology and symptom manifestations are slightly beyond the influence of body types. The following diet and lifestyle rules apply for migraines, irrespective of the body type:
Food And Drink
- Eat at regular intervals. Avoid fasting as it increases both pitta and vata doshas, worsening migraines. Never skip meals.
- Avoid or restrict using green chili. You can have cinnamon, cardamom, clove, ginger, and pepper. Include herbs like brahmi, ashwagandha, shankhapushpi, rasna (pluchea lanceolata), bala (sida cordifolia), coriander, lemon grass, ginkgo biloba, butcher’s broom, and indigo in the diet. Also, watch out for the things or foods that trigger a migraine attack. Make a list of these and avoid them.
- Do not drink strong coffee or tea. If you plan to quit these, do not stop abruptly. Let the withdrawal be gradual.
Daily Lifestyle Tips
- Walk for 10 minutes early in the morning in the fresh air.
- Get a minimum of 7 hours of sleep.
- Do not take bath in too hot or too cold water.
- Maintain proper ventilation at your place. Do not use the air conditioner for a long period of time.
- Use a very mild deodorant/perfume.
- Wear sunglasses wherever possible or use an umbrella or a hat to protect yourself from direct sunlight. Also, always lower the brightness of your computer/TV.
- Try to avoid pubs and clubs with loud music and flashy bright lights. Avoid any kind of loud noises.
- Try to control your anger.
- Quit smoking and get rid of alcohol addiction.